[Moodle] Re: FW: [Yr7-10it] Weaving stories for 2010 and beyond

Sandison, Neil N sandison.neil.n at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Dec 17 12:40:17 EST 2009

My first work experience out of school was with Ferranti Space and
Defence in Edinburgh where I tried to assist the bloke who programmed
the moving map displays on a PDP8.  I struggled to understand the
programmer who spoke in machine code and assumed everyone could
understand it.  It was another ten years before I managed to write a
functional machine code program for x86 hardware.

In my first real job we upgraded  from Data General Nova 1200
http://users.rcn.com/crfriend/museum/machines/Nova12xx.html  (or
something very similar) with address and data lights, paper tape and
teletypes, bootstrap  program loaded with switches, to the DEC PDP11/03
with TI 733 terminals (thermal printers and cassette tapes for program
and data).    The great advantage of the PDP11/03 was that it didn't use
the unreliable magnetic memory boards (4kb each) and didn't have to have
a bootstrap program loaded manually.  I missed the flashing lights
though - took a lot of the magic away, but as a tech I certainly didn't
miss the Teletypes. We used the computers on drilling rigs to predict
downhole pressure from various measured parameters.

Neil Sandison