[Moodle] Another Moodle newbie ... using it with Primary kids

Phil Brown pdbrown at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 13:45:57 EST 2008

Angela,

One of the most important aspects is to have good technical support as there
are lots of issues you will face where you will need to solve networking
problems. Do your students login through a central system? If so get your
technician to LDAP Moodle so the students can log in using the same username
and password as the network. If this is not possible then they can enrol
themselves throught email authentication. If you have Admin rights you can
manually enrol students and this may be the way to go for a small
experimantal group.

Moodle is good to organize kids work like putting in web links or getting
them to use a forum. You can also record mp3's and kids can download them.
You're really only limited by your immagination.

I don't know how technically minded you are but to get a good feel for
moodle you can install it on your own laptop or computer. Do this by
downloading a free web server (I use easyPHP <http://www.easyphp.org/>) and
install it on your computer. Start up easyPHP. Then go to c:\program
files\easyPHP\www\ and unzip Moodle <http://download.moodle.org/windows/>.
Open a browser and type in the URL 'localhost'. Moodle should then install
its self. By having a local copy you are free to experiment without fear of
destroying the school's set up.

All the best on your journey,

Phil Brown
WellingtonSC