[Year 12 IT Apps] User guide/documentation for U401 advice

Mark mark at vceit.com
Thu Jul 23 12:23:57 AEST 2015

On 23 July 2015 at 09:10, Ciotti, George W <
ciotti.george.w at edumail.vic.gov.au> wrote:

> Last time I used Powerpoint and it worked successfully. Given that we're
> talking about a small component of the SAC it ranks in a similar league as
> the Web site prototype? As long as students can demonstrate an
> understanding of how a user guide/documentation can be applied to their
> solution and this can be operated *onscreen* it then satisfies the
> requirement. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, it's only part of the SAC and you would not want to overcomplicate it.
Kids just need to show they have the skills and knowledge to demonstrate
what good on-screen documentation looks like.
Time is short, so keep it relatively simple, use software they already
know, and focus on the relevant design principles.

>   UHS Website Manager
> IT/Arts/Design/Tech Domain
> University High School
> 77 Story St
> Parkville 3052
> *mobile: 0412 934 782*
> phone: 9347 2022
>

>   From: Mark <mark at vceit.com>
> Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 14:15:16 +1000
> >
> Subject: Re: [Year 12 IT Apps] User guide/documentation for U401 advice
>
>  Hi George
>
>  The relevant key skills for ITA U4O1 is "use web authoring or
> *multimedia* authoring software to create onscreen user documentation".
>
>  Interactivity does not seem to be a criterion. *Multimedia* is.
> The question is whether a PDF can be called 'multimedia'.
> Strictly speaking, it *can* contain text and images, so it's *minimally*
> multimedia. But I'd suggest it is stretching the definition of 'multimedia'
> until it squeals...
>
>  I've argued in the past that MS Powerpoint is a valid multimedia
> authoring tool, and Paula wasn't even too sure about *that*.
> But I think she now accepts Powerpoint can create true
> multimedia/multimodal (for 2016) presentations.
>
>  I'd be uneasy about hoping that a PDF qualifies as 'multimedia'. Does it
> do video/animation of any variety?  Audio/music?
> I've always treated PDF as a format that is really designed for printing,
> not primarily for onscreen presentation.
>
>  Another 2 cents foolishly frittered away.
>
>  Mark
>
> On 22 July 2015 at 13:53, Ciotti, George W <
> ciotti.george.w at edumail.vic.gov.au> wrote:
>
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  I am looking to get my students to use InDesign to construct the
>> Documentation component of the 401 SAC. It will be turned into a pdf and
>> will demonstrate some interactivity. Before going down this route, I was
>> wondering whether this satisfies the requirements for this component. I
>> think I remember reading that PDFs do not meet requirements because they
>> lack typical online features. Which of course is not true. It certainly
>> falls in the multimedia, interactive and useable online criteria.
>>
>>  Thanks in advance
>>
>>  George
>>
>>   UHS Website Manager
>> IT/Arts/Design/Tech Domain