[Year 12 IT Apps] Year 12 IT apps SACs request

Margaret Lawson margaret.lawson at konstantkaos.net
Wed Feb 9 16:00:22 EST 2011

As a rule, I don't send SAC's out to mailling lists. They are not secure
and once released into the wild, you have no control over what happens
to them. I remember a few years back a SAC that I had written from
scratch appeared on a mailing list under another teachers name (grrr),
with no acknowledgment of the hours I had spent constructing it.

I think as a professional exercise we should *all try to write at least
one SAC from scratch* and then perhaps ask for people willing to proof
read it via the lists. The actual process of going through and making
sure that you have all knowledge and skills covered is important as a
Year 12 teacher. Yes it takes time, but it is what is required if you
are a Year 12 teacher. I usually use a SAC from the previous year as a
Practice SAC for my kids. Now this year it won't work as well, but I
might re-write it to include the new knowledge and skill areas.

When writing SAC's I tend not to give students open ended tasks. Be
specific, it is easier to mark and justify awards of grades. So for
example, "identify three input and output requirements". Students then
have to identify the three best input and output requirements and you
can award marks accordingly.

If you want to source SACs for classes, buy them. That way you have some
assurance of quality if you are ever audited and you also know that
these SAC's are not out in the wild where the students can get a hold of
them. Remember you have to authenticate students work as part of the SAC
process. SAC's grabbed off the internet could compromise your
authentication process.

Regards

Margaret Lawson

Currently on leave in 2011 from
St. Michael's Grammar School
mlawson at stmichaels.vic.edu.au

ITA list goes to my home address so that I can control my school inbox ....

Margaret Lawson

Konstant Kaos Designs

ABN 50 523 597 927

26 Nash Street