[Year 12 IT Apps] Year 12 Info Tech

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 09:31:32 EST 2011

Some years back I was involved in a review of Comp Sci/IS courses,
with a lot of input from the tertiary sector. One professor in the Inf
Sys area (in universities in Aust and China) had very strong views on
the relationship between IS and business, and suggested that their
critical problem was students attempting IS without an understanding
of business processes and principles. Basically, his view was that
students without an understanding of business principles were
completely wasting their time doing an information systems degree (and
were unemployable).
By this he meant the understanding of business funding, business case
development, core business functions, the need for information systems
to address core business requirements, business project management,
the role of venture capital, startups and entrepreneurial thinking,
ROI, etc etc etc. It was not about students using business
productivity apps - that was irrelevant to his argument.

Perhaps there is a difference between that sort of business
understanding and what are sometimes called "business" courses in
schools? There is a big difference between business understanding and
office work.

I'd agree with others that computational thinking is core to what we
do, and very important (and won't be covered anywhere else). However I
can see that there is another important element that needs to sit
somewhere in the curriculum, related to why software is developed and
the associated decisions behind it. Whether that is part of the
"computing" area or something else I'm not sure.

Ken

Assistant Principal, Tasmanian eSchool
President, TASITE
www.tasite.tas.edu.au

--
Dr Ken Price MACS ACCE Professional Associate.
President, TASITE