[Year 12 IT Apps] CMS on networked computers

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 09:28:19 EST 2010

Hi Mark

I have been running Drupal and Moodle on a local computer using the MoWes
software for some time, as a development environment.

The MoWes (Mobile Webserver) lets you bundle the CMS and LMS along with the
server stuff they need to run ( Apache, MySQL, PHP etc) on a student
computer, or USB drive or external hard drive. The students can then have
complete admin ability over their own installation. If you do it with a USB
stick or external hard drive, their applications AND their data (the actual
web site) all live on the device and can be taken home and worked on.

There are several similar environments that do the same thing but I've found
MoWes to be the easiest to use as the whole install is one zip file.

This (to me anyway) seems a better alternative to trying to manage a school
server with multiple CMS and LMS installations for students. Plus it is
accessible from home. Kids just need a $10 USB drive. MoWes is free.

It has the disadvantage that each student's installation is local so they
can't have a classroom-wide wiki. Actually they probably could with some
configuration but as soon as things start to travel on school networks there
is a security etc risk to be considered.

Oh - there were some people who had problems with using MoWes when Skype is
running - this can be fixed by terminating Skype, though I just noticed with
my latest install that it seems to work OK with Skype now.

Hope this helps,

Ken