[Year 12 IT Apps] Jailbreaking your iPhone and ripping DVDs: Both now perfectly legal

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 13:25:13 EST 2010

The original article referred I think to changes in US law, which don't
necessarily apply in Australia. So i guess my question extends back to
Stuart also - do we know if this change affects Australian lawl?

Both issues are well worth discussion in a classroom setting, but it would
be good to know the Australian legal situation from our role as teachers. At
present the SmartCopying website is pretty much gospel as far as copyright
is concerned, so any changes would need to reflected there. When things are
unclear there is a real risk that a teacher somewhere will end up in court.

Back to the region codes - the copyright council website suggest that region
codes aren't "protection measures", so Mark's statement certainly  appears
to be correct:

"In many cases, DVDs are region-coded for playing only in particular
countries or groups of countries. Teachers can nevertheless play the DVDs in
a  multi-region player, or re-set the region coding (we understand this can
sometimes be done via the remote control) or they may have the region-code
control in the DVD player modified so it plays DVDs from relevant regions. "

http://www.copyright.org.au/information/cit005/cit073/wp0042

Cheers
Ken