[Year 12 IT Apps] Jailbreaking your iPhone and ripping DVDs: Both now perfectly legal

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 13:12:19 EST 2010

Thanks Mark - what is the source of that information?

I'm interested because (so far as I am aware, and according to the
SmartCopying webste) it remains illegal to bypass the protection on many
commercial DVDs.

The reason given for it being illegal would seem to also apply to the region
encoding. Different thing, but still a Technological Protection Measure I'd
think.

from http://www.smartcopying.edu.au/scw/go/pid/529 :

*"SCHOOLS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO FORMAT SHIFT IF MAKING THE FORMAT SHIFT COPY
CIRCUMVENTS AN ACCESS CONTROL TECHNOLOGICAL PROTECTION MEASURE* Most
commercial DVDs are protected by an access control technological protection
measure <http://www.smartcopying.edu.au/scw/Jahia/lang/en/scw/go/pid/902>(access
control TPM). Schools are not permitted to circumvent this access
control TPM<http://www.smartcopying.edu.au/scw/Jahia/lang/en/scw/go/pid/902>to
make a format shift copy (eg, by using software such as deCSS or DVD
Shrink)."

Cheers, ken

TASITE www.tasite.tas.edu.au