[Year 12 IT Apps] OT: Service Provider Changeover

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 13:03:30 EST 2010

G'day fellow VCE ITA educators

Mark Richardson (from VITTA) is running an Elluminate session 'whats burning
in eLearning' where you can meet Mike D'Monte from Netspace. Timely
opportunity to ask questions about how the new DEECD ISP filtering system
works and perhaps answer some of your questions below. I have often met Mike
at the VITTA conference and he is quite approachable and really knows his
stuff.

http://guidetoinnovation.ning.com/events/so-whats-growing-in-the-walled
"So what's growing in the walled garden? And can you go out through the
gate?"
Time: July 21, 2010 from 4pm to 5pm

Worth joining into this online workshop :-)

Regards Roland

On 14 July 2010 20:14, Laurie Savage <sav at pvgc.vic.edu.au> wrote:
> I thought that the process of opening a site through Netspace necessitated
> contacting them centrally. If that is not the case then I certainly will
> suggest to our techs that they do that in future.
>
> Laurie
>
> Just recently, on Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 05:53:46PM +1000  in fact, Roland
Gesthuizen mentioned:
>> Just a suggestion, when you whitelist a good education site, submit it
the
>> entire Netspace ISP network and not just your own school campus so that
>> everybody benefits. If you are not sure how to do this, ask your tech or
>> drop Netspace a line.
>>
>> Remember many years ago in the age of BG when Yahoo was a hand-compiled
>> index? I recall somebody saying over a beer that these lists are compiled
by
>> two USA based groups (Florida / Utah) that have a rather interesting way
of
>> viewing the web using a mix of robots (to score game / chat / gambling
>> sites) whilst others have to manually hunt for odd body parts amongst the
>> images. The thought was that ISPs and services such as
>> http://OpenDNS.orgpurchase these lists as nobody has the time to
>> systematically compile it
>> themselves. At least we are free to collectively whitelist the good stuff
>> that we run into.
>>
>> Whilst it is easy to poke fun at Conroy, a rather scarey thought is who
>> compiled his black list and are they Australian? How do we reconcile and
>> recompense the long-term moral damage that just compiling the list will
>> inflict upon the censors? Lastly, does wearing special glasses with red
and
>> blue filters really help?
>>
>> Regards Roland
>>
>> On 14 July 2010 08:38, Laurie Savage <sav at pvgc.vic.edu.au> wrote:
>>
>> >   Just a brief off-topic question. Has anybody had a trouble-free
>> > changeover to Netspace? Ours has been horrific. I sent my students off
>> > devzone.zend.com to look at some of the great tutorials there (
>> > devzone.zend.com/article/627) and access was denied because the
web-site’s
>> > content was deemed “inappropriate: contains computing and IT chat”!
That’s
>> > almost as good as the time our filters denied access to the Vatican’s
Art
>> > Gallery because it contained “Nudity, Lingerie and Profanity”. Roll on
>> > Conroy’s firewall!
>> >

>> > We did fix it.
>> >

>> > Laurie Savage
>> >
>> > Pascoe Vale Girls College

>> > Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority and
>> > http://www.vitta.org.au  - VITTA Victorian Information Technology
Teachers
>> > Association Inc
>> >

>> --
>> Roland Gesthuizen - ICT Coordinator - Westall Secondary College
>> http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au
>>
>> "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can
change
>> the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead

>> http://www.vitta.org.au  - VITTA Victorian Information Technology
Teachers Association Inc

> --
> Laurie Savage