[Year 12 IT Apps] OT: Service Provider Changeover

Brett Groves groves.brett.g at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Jul 14 22:41:43 EST 2010

Hi Laurie,

We had few niggles changing over to Netspace other than the previous
ISP, were, hmmm how to put this politely...somewhat less than helpful in
changing over the webhosting.

I assume Laurie that you are using a proxy between you and Netspace? You
could specify in your browser settings (you can push this out easy peasy
through group policy) to use the non filtered Netspace connection, they
can help with the addy I won't type it here for obvious reasons.

You can then lock down access through your proxy and again tie this to
group policy if your proxy system can synchronise to active directory so
that you can have different access levels for different user groups.
Down side you would have to manually generate your blacklist...not so
good. But I would suggest it is worth using a differential access system
like this anyway so that you can preserve some bandwidth particularly if
you have a heavy netbook or notebook program running.

White listing through the Netspace control panel is really quick and
easy. A few years ago it took ages for the white listing to come
through, now it is almost instantaneous. So if you have the credentials
for the panel and your laptop in class you could theoretically unlock
sites in real time.

Cheers

Brett Groves
ICT Manager