[Year 12 IT Apps] U302

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 21:54:30 EST 2010

"Open Source apps like Joomla and Wordpress would be my preferred teaching
tools if only I could get the techies at my school to provide the
appropriate environment."

If you download the MoWeS Portable package, you can run Joomla on a USB
memory stick, complete with Apache, MySQL and PHP. No installation needed on
the computer, and the kids can carry their whole Joomla install (apps and
data) on their own USB stick and use it at home. No need to annoy the
techies - keep that for something where there is no other option!.

About the only problem is that it will not run if the Skype client is
running - took me a long time to realise I had a Skpe service running even
though there was no Skype app visible

Oh yes - you can run Moodle, Drupal, Wordpress, MediaWiki, Elgg,  etc in the
same way. And its free.

http://www.chsoftware.net/en/mowes/mowesportable/mowes.htm

Ken, TASITE www.tasite.tas.edu.au