[Year 12 IT Apps] ITA exam Q12e

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Nov 12 10:37:29 EST 2009

I've given B12e a SHMACKO award because I believe it is fishing for a
'mail merge' answer to producing individualised output from a spreadsheet.

It's the only conclusion I can come to. But no profession would be so
silly as to use a spreadsheet for storing customer data and producing
output like delivery slips.

Did anyone think of an answer that did NOT involve mail merge?

Overall, B12 was a complete disaster in terms of realistic IT practices...

- its VLOOKUP table was just wrong
- IF was examined for the third time - A9, B11c(i), B12b(i)
- test data was examined for the second time B11c(ii) and B12b(iii)
- it seems to want students to use clumsy $ notation instead of elegant
cell naming
- it's using an inappropriate software tool and forcing clumsy kludges
like mail merge.

School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 9578 9253
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au