[Year 12 IT Apps] OT - De facto student free day

Cameron Bell bell.cameron.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Nov 2 10:42:40 EST 2009

Sorry for the OT post, but couldn't think of any other vic-specific
forums that I could ask.

Well its Monday and tomorrow is the Cup Day holiday here in (metro)
Victoria.
As you would imagine, many people take today off to have a 4 day
holiday. Due to this known behaviour many city schools used to have
today as a curriculum day.
Now thanks to the decision that all student free days must be taken at
the start of the year (Except 1 report writing day and 1 at school
discretion) we are all here.
When I say "all" I mean all the staff and the 20% of the student
population who has turned up. I have just had a class of 4 students
and I bet I am not the only one across the city.
What a monumental waste of our time and resources.
Students and staff are actually running sweeps - not on the cup, but
on how many kids will be in each class. What a joke.
At least some classes are being collapsed on an ad-hoc basis as we see
the numbers at start of each period.

QUESTION: I, and the rest of our staff are genuinely curious as the
situation in other Vic metropolitan schools - are we the norm or an
anomaly? Is it a school culture thing?
What is your attendance like today? Did your school move 1 of their
student free days to today?

Thanks in anticipation
Cameron