[Year 12 IT Apps] ITA Proposed U3O2 - a bias towards databases?

Litsa Tzelepis htzelepis at msj.melb.catholic.edu.au
Wed Aug 19 21:29:07 EST 2009

Hello. All discussion is very interesting and clearly shows a love for our
subject.

Today in class I was covering security hardware and went into backup
mediums. I mentioned burning CD's and DVD's as part of the conversation. One
of my students asked about Blu-ray and did it mean she couldn't use her
DVD's for much longer. Anyway, the class got right into the whole discussion
and I have to say it was refreshing.

Databases and spreadsheets are great and have their place like most things,
but like many others have mentioned, there is a lot more to our subject.
Although we are named "IT Applications" is it possible to include current
advancements in technology? What is wrong with studying a graphics
manipulation program and properly understanding image size, dpi, etc. -
these are just random ideas of course.

We shouldn't be spicing up the course for numbers, we should be doing the
right thing by the students and providing them with a course that teaches
them a wide range of skills and information, that is interesting and not
stifling - kids love IT and they will consider studying it; let's try and
keep it fresh and relelvant.

Litsa xo