[Year 12 IT Apps] REVIEW OF VCE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY, SUMMARYOF PROPOSED CHANGES TO THE STUDY DESIGN

margaret.lawson at konstantkaos.net margaret.lawson at konstantkaos.net
Wed Aug 19 13:14:55 EST 2009

I didn't mean to belittle the humble test, but psychologically for the
kids a test seems to be better received than an ongoing extended task. For
us teachers, the SAC is delivered and marked in a shorter period of time.

:)

Margaret

> [...]
>> course". Perhaps  we ought to be looking at Units 1-4 as entire course
>> of
>> study rather than U3/4 as a convenient Year 11 Unit 3/4 study. Worth
>> discussing!
>>
>> The extra database task in U3 is a test, is it not? So it isn't an
>> extended SAC task such as the one we currently do. I think that two
>> extended tasks would have been too much, but I think that the test will
>> work well.
>>
>> :)
>>
>> Margaret
>>

>>> Margaret
>>>
>>> I like your enthusiasm for databases, but I feel many of your comments
>>> rest
>>> on students having had a prior knowledge of databases from Year 11 or
>>> earlier.  You even implore a greater emphasis at Year 11.
>>>
>>> At RMIT most, read over 90%, of our students doing VCE IT have not
>>> studied
>>> Year 11 IT or had much previous IT experience.
>>>
>>> Our students already struggle with the first outcome because they do
>>> not
>>> have any prior knowledge of databases, let alone a DBMS.  I have
>>> students
>>> in
>>> my classes who do have not studied IT in lower education.  Should I
>>> exclude
>>> these students?  Remember, there is no pre-requisite for entering Year
>>> 12
>>> ITA.
>>>
>>> As we accept students from many socio-economic backgrounds and many who
>>> have
>>> failed in other schools and want to complete their VCE in another
>>> environment, we already have a significant leakage of students
>>> completing
>>> the year.  The doubling of databases would increase the loss.
>>>
>>> I have conducted a survey of our current students and I would suffer a
>>> further loss of at least another third of the remaining students if
>>> they
>>> were required to do an extra database exercise.  Some others would
>>> question
>>> whether they would select the study if they were told that there were
>>> two
>>> database tasks.
>>>
>>> Year 11 IT (Units 1 and 2) is not a pre-requisite to doing Year 12
>>> (Unit 3
>>> and 4).  Thus, imploring a greater emphasis at Year 11, in our
>>> situation,
>>> does not assist because we do not get a significant flow on.  I would
>>> see
>>> our two classes of ITA become one with the introduction of 2 databases
>>> and
>>> would be concerned that we would struggle to maintain the numbers
>>> throughout
>>> the year.
>>>
>>> As for tertiary courses, at RMIT we do not presume prior knowledge of
>>> databases for students entering our IT courses.  Our tertiary students
>>> from a variety of backgrounds, many of whom do NOT do IT at Year 11 or