[Year 12 IT Apps] Mark's ITA post mortem

Quentin Lydall qly at beaconhills.vic.edu.au
Thu Nov 13 10:37:43 EST 2008

Thanks for all your efforts, Mark.  I went through the paper and answered it, and apart from the now infamous Q12 agree with your answers so far.

I thought that the red x question was more about philosophy than IT since it needs a definition of intuitive and a very wide range of answers would be acceptable so long as the argument was well presented.  My response was it is not intuitive (the cross meaning no and red meaning danger in our culture) but rather has become so widely used it is readily recognised.

SA Q10 a - draw a design - was a lot of work for a few marks and b - design elements and explanation likewise, given the 5 lines for explanation worth two marks.

SA Q11 - sports coaches - was pretty easy and page 19 is NOT blank!!

Some of my students found doing the VLOOKUP for 12 c difficult because in Excel they usually use the formula editing window - something to remember next year. The rest was pretty straight forward.

I had a query about MC Q10 - effective chart type - and though column would be clearest, scatter plot would also work.  I disagreed with the scatter plot students and went for B myself.

Thanks again.

Quentin Lydall
Head of ICT
Beaconhills College Valley Campus
30-34 Toomuc Valley Road,
Pakenham
3810
Phone: 1300 002 225 Extn 3016
 Please consider the environment before printing my email