[Year 12 IT Apps] Mark's ITA post mortem

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Nov 13 08:36:06 EST 2008

Thanks for the kind words, Janet.  I stick to my theory about the
drop-down list.  They should only be used when the items in it can be
exhaustively listed - and titles are not.

Yes, you can add Mr, Mrs, Ms, Dr, Professor etc but there will always be
titles you have never heard of that will need adding.  It will be an
endless job.

IDs on the other hand, at any single moment, are exhaustive.  And
Filemaker (at least - other DBMS may also do so) can create a "value
list" drawn from values in existing records.

I will be rather miffed if they examiners see it differently.  I'd be
ready to argue vehemently if they claim the answer is B.

It's time for another good old-fashioned all-out IT theory street brawl  :-)

Bane, Janet A wrote:
> If you are interested in reading about /retarded custard pies and
> geraniums, see Mark Kelly's magnificent post mortem of the ITA exam at
> vceit.com.  Essential reading.  Just one thing Mark, I disagree with
> your answer to q 12 of the multiple choice - I think the answer is B
> (not D) as a drop down list could give  range of titles (Mr, Mrs, Ms,
> Dr, Professor) whereas all the other options (Fax, phone, customer ID)
>  are likely to be unique, and therefore a drop down box is a bit
> redundant.  /
> //
> /Other than that, I have had a chuckle about your comments, particularly
> the "ethical" question.   I must admit I looked at that and said
> WTF..... Also Q 9 was poorly worded in that it didn't actually say where
> the students were accessing class notes, and where they were supposed to
> be uploading the data from - home?  school?  Timbuktu (Geog students are
> known for their intrepid adventures).  It  kind of has a bearing on how
> you answer section a.   /
> //
> /Some of my little cherubs left early, most stayed til the near the end
> (which could be a good sign or a bad sign depending on how you look at
> it) but I thought the paper was a real departure from previous years,
> and will certainly sort out the contenders from th pretenders./
>
> /regards/
> //
> //
> Janet Bane
>
> Patterson River SC

School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 9578 9253
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

Most people don't realise that small kitchen sponges, when nailed to the
forehead, can really REALLY hurt.