[Year 12 IT Apps] RE:Google tools

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 10:49:58 EST 2008

There doesn't appear to be an age issue from Google's perspective, as they
offer services specifically to schools.eg
http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/edu/customers.html

Of some relevance is that the entire NSW education departmetnt (one of the
largest education systems in the world) has decided to switch its entire 1.3
million student email accounts to a Google-provided service
http://blog.devnet.com.au/index.php/google-apps/nsw-education-grows-with-google-apps

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/technology/who-is-googles-biggest-client/2008/07/29/1217097282429.html
I'm not sure if these Gmail accounts work like the usual Google accounts,
given you access to all their tools.

There may of course be age conditions for individual education systems.

The other aspect of Google services is the storage - I don't know of many
schools who can offer every student 6 Gigabytes of online storage,
accessible at home or school. And that all you need to access this range of
applications is a computer with a browser - this can be provided with an
open-source OS with no licensing costs and no software installations on home
computers (with associated questions of legality)

These issues are relevant not only in delivering the IT Apps course, but
perhaps merit student discussion within it?

We live in interesting times..

Cheers
Ken

Ken Price