[Year 12 IT Apps] machine handmedowns..and OC1/OC2 query..

Kent Beveridge kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au
Sat Mar 29 22:02:04 EST 2008

funny you should mention about not taking the product without the box Andrew... Reminds me of when I tried to donate some used, but in very good condition, household items including bedding to the Salvo's not that long ago...What? no plastic cover?...sorry we no take..Excellent curtains? What not dry cleaned? Sorry, we not take!

What computers...NO Box they came in? No packaging?...Sorry, we no take!!

Try the recycle section in your local tip and yes...they will take...AND find a new home for it!!

No, I am not just being the grumpy old man!....its reality these days when trying to do the right thing.  (pssst, wanna cheap computer from your local pub?....)

Personally, recently shifted house and put computing stuff out with other quality stuff...it went within half an hour and here's the cool bit...the bloke actually asked me if he could take it as his had just blown up...your welcome to it I said!

As for the ones that are superseded at school...here's a true story!

Last year we put all the old computing stuff into one classroom and put the word out at school that it was a 'take what you want', but you must transport it home!
Sure the equipment all went like $100 bills, but, we now hear that most of it is now at the tip!  The moral, the used equipment rarely survives for long at home if it is dubious in any way! The good stuff was put together to make a couple of machines to run old windows versions and one server...done by one of the kids I am teaching now in y11 who has been building machines and pottering with h/ware with his dad at home for a while now!  His knowledge of networks is impressive!
Now the funny bit.... My KLA co-ordinator(a science geek who knows squat about computers and handpasses that stuff to me..) recently said to me that she wanted one of the machines from a recent upgrade where they just happen to be now in a cupboard but they dont have CD ROMS in them (they're workstations). She asked me if she could have one..like I was able to say yes? Its not my call...see the techie...I suggested she simply use her position as IT/SCIENCE co-ordinator and 'procure' one..."oh yeah" she said.
I swear, she should be a blonde!  (apologies to blondes reading this...).
Oh, there are still another 6 left in the cupboard...who knows where they are 'allocated' for?

Now, I am just curious, how are you folk going with Outcome 1? finished? in the middle of? not started?
Has anyone done OC2 first?
Has anyone written up an OC2 task yet they are prepared to share? Me? Might reuse, with mods, my Rural Rescue Flights from last year... Might even challenge one of my year 9 HTML computer whizzes to come up with a version of RRF on HTML with a discussion forum in a protected page...He'll do it just to see if he can..just loves the stuff! (would that be allowed in our ITApps outcome..doing it via HTML? )

Kent.
              Kent Beveridge,
I.T. co-ordinator
St. Brigids Catholic Sec. College
Horsham
email.. kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au

|<3|\|7  b3\/3r1D93 ?  ;-)

Wishes and Eggs, one you make and one you break!  A bit like promises.....
"This email and any attachments may be confidential.  You must not disclose or use the information in this email if you are not the intended recipient.  If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and all copies.  The School does not guarantee that this email is virus or error free.  The attached files are provided and my only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not.  The content and opinions in this email are not necessarily those of the School."