[Year 12 IT Apps] OT-- Staffr ICT AUDIT

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 12:26:19 EST 2008

Hi Andrew,

There are several skills audits available from Becta and others at
http://www.shambles.net/pages/staff/ictrubrics/, some of which could be
built as online tools.

Having done this several times before, I think the main issue with these is
that they assume all teachers need a common set of skills, and I'm not
convinced this is the case.

For example, if you find all your Art teachers have no database skills, what
action would this prompt? And why? What might be your response if they say
"yes, we acknowledge that we can't design a database, but we believe that
our subject area benefits more from deeper use of image manipulation
software and more sophisticated web searching, and that's where we will
putting our PD  efforts"?

So in the end - what is the real value of the ICT skills audit? Would a PD
needs evaluation be more useful perhaps, or something along the lines of the
UK Self-review Framework
http://matrix.becta.org.uk/GMATRIX_983187_35403584/1203470671959/rebrand/matrix/srf/index.cfm
?

Ken