[Year 12 IT Apps] texts for next year...

Lawson, James LawsonJ at trinity.vic.edu.au
Mon Feb 4 11:26:04 EST 2008

Hi Kent and Bill (and others!),

As you would appreciate, the Potts author team are all ITA teachers who
have tried to ensure that they wrote the best text possible, based on
the material they had available from the VCAA at the time. There is no
great secret conspiracy J

I think that the only real issue VCAA had with the text was that one of
the chapters in the book dealing with U3O2 focuses on a static website,
rather than a prototype website for a virtual team. It was felt that
teachers who were not fully aware of the content of the study design
would then create a full, static website for the Outcome, rather than
what is actually required.

On the Nelson website which has support material for the book (prac
SACs, etc) there is a doc which explains this and reminds teachers of
the emphasis on the prototype for  a virtual team. This doc was prepared
early in 2007 by the relevant author after chatting with Paula. Nelson
distributed it at all the PDs and conferences last year as well as the
website.

To my knowledge the actual prac SACs are OK.

So, really, it was more a case of emphasis, rather than inaccuracies in
part of a chapter.

As far as I am aware there were no issues with any other parts of the
book.

I hope this clarifies things and the fact that the text can still be
used with confidence!

Regards,

James