[Year 12 IT Apps] What Future IT?

timmer at melbpc.org.au timmer at melbpc.org.au
Mon Sep 24 19:35:13 EST 2007

Hello all

I don't believe the drop in numbers (in ITA at least) has much to do with
the job market in IT. In my experience, students who chose IPM by and
laege did not see themselves as going into the industry per se; rather
they saw themselves as needing IT skills to support whatever job/career
they had in mind. The difference, I think, between then and now is that
students no longer see themselves as lacking IT skills and this, coupled
with the lack of prerequisite needs re IT and Tertiary, means that they
are no longer choosing it.

Also, I don't think the 'fun' factor is part of it - or, if it is, there
is too much fun and not enough real work pre-VCE to give students an
appreciation of what VCE IT is really about. Name me a VCE subject that
is 'fun'; relevent and interesting perhaps, but a hard slog as well.

As I have have said before, I think the gloss has worn off and that VCE IT
is finding its place as a 'technology' subject and that means lowish
numbers.

Regards
Robert T-A
Brighton SC