[Year 12 IT Apps] What Future IT?

Keith Richardson keithcr at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 24 17:23:29 EST 2007

I have read with interest the many contributions to this ongoing
discussion.
The REAL situation out there in the workplace...
One of my sons is a software engineer who has worked in the industry for
around 10 years.
They are desperate for skilled and qualified IT system engineers,
programmers etc. People with the necessary qualifications can almost
name the salary they want.
I think that we are all suffering the extended backlash from the
tech-bubble-bursting. Immediately prior to it, many hopeful
wannabee-millionaires studied IT, some of whom were really unsuited to
it either psychologically or intellectually or interest-wise, so some in
the industry welcomed the clean-out that happened, but it has gone too
far, and people's memories are long.
Sorry, these observations are no solution, but I would like to know what
is going on in the hundreds of brains who would have chosen IT in the
past, but now are not.
FACT - there are plenty of good-paying jobs out there for everyone who
get IT qualifications.
NEED -  we need to get this message through to all and sundry - career
advisers, parents, friends & relatives who give ill-informed-advice, and
the kids themselves.
Cheers, Keith
Keith Richardson