[Year 12 IT Apps] Legal Question

Geoff Moss geoffmoss37 at optusnet.com.au
Fri Sep 21 15:00:42 EST 2007

An interesting question, Paul.

While Mark is correct in what he says, unfortunately not all the references
students refer to are as clear.

Like all amendments to the Crimes Act, 1958, they are eventually included in
the original act.

However, to bring the law in the area of privacy into context and to provide
historical developments it is necessary to refer to the amendments.
Otherwise, how can we relate the privacy law to the private sector.

Students using their references will find that they are confronted with both
federal privacy acts, rather than the Privacy Act 1988, and the study of
both puts the development of law in this area into historical context.  They
are not directed to reading the amendment as part of the principal act.

Likewise, with the Copyright Act and its Digital Amendment in 2000.  There
is also a need to develop the historical context to show where the digital
era has finally been partially addressed by the law with the digital
amendment.  The digital age didn't exist as we now know it in 1968.

While the study design only refers to 'The Privacy Act 1988' and 'The
Copyright Act 1968' (and 2 Victorian acts)  (See the glossary entry for
'Legal Obligations' on page 50) and there is an assumption that all teachers
will be aware that the amendments have been subsumed by the principal acts,
it does not mean all teachers, and students for that fact, are aware of that
assumption.  The student references do not clarify the situation referring
to the 2 acts in the two respective areas as separate acts.  (Mark Kelly's
site: http://vceit.com does clarify the issue).

I have advised my students in writing responses to questions relating to
either act to refer to the primary act and then state "as amended by (the
subsequent amendment)",
e.g. Privacy Act 1988, as amended by the Privacy Amendment (Private Sector)
Act 2000.; Copyright Act 1968, as amended by the Copyright Amendment
(Digital Agenda) Act 2000.

Unfortunately, this does not address multiple choice questions such as the
one that started this debate.  Hopefully, the examiners will not be so silly
as to do this!!????!!  Or they will allow for common sense to prevail seeing
the students may have been exposed to a wide range of reference material
that has included the separation of the Acts in question.

In this reference the examiners need to be aware that not all IT teachers
access this list and not all students will have the latest information to
refer to.

This confusion could have been avoided by a suitable comment in the study
design for the benefit of all teachers and all students.

My 2 cents worth, unfortunately it probably only muddies the debate.

Geoff Moss
RMIT