[Year 12 IT Apps] VITTA Practice Exam 2 Multiple Choice Question 6

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Wed Sep 12 15:26:50 EST 2007

The study design only refers to 'The Privacy Act 1988' and 'The
Copyright Act 1968' (and 2 Victorian acts). See the glossary entry for
'Legal Obligations' on page 50.

The privacy and copyright amendment acts used in IPM should not be
referred to separately from the Acts into which they have been subsumed.

The VITTA Q6 option A is a cunning distractor from the real answer, C.

jtabone at aitkencollege.edu.au wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Can you please give me some clarification to the VITTA Practice
> Sample Exam Multiple Choice question 6:
>
> A real estate agency that is closing down would like to sell its
> client database to another agency in order to recoup some of its
> losses.  What privacy legsilation should influence the real estate
> agency's decision
>
> A) Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2000
> B) Health Records Act 2001
> C) Privacy Act 1988
> D) Information Privacy Act 2000
>
> The solutions suggest that A) is the correct answer
>
> However I was of the understanding the this provision is now
> included/incorporated within the Privacy Act 1988 (see following an
> excerpt taken from the Office of the Privacy Commissioner website
>
> And the correct answer should be C) -
>
> Have I taught my students incorrectly?
>
> Your thoughts would be appreciated.  Thank you
>
> Joyce Tabone
> Aitken College
>
> According to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner:
> http://www.privacy.gov.au/business/index.html
>
> The Privacy Act 1988:
>
> "This section of the web site contains information relevant to
> organisations covered by the private sector provisions of the Privacy
> Act.
>
> The private sector provisions of the Privacy Act apply to
> organisations (including not-for-profits) with an annual turnover of
> more than $3 million. The provisions also apply to all health service
> providers regardless of turnover and some small businesses with an
> annual turnover of $3 million or less."

School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au