[Year 12 IT Apps] IT Lecture Notes - delicious

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 22:00:41 EST 2007

[image: Flickr tag browser
screengrab]<http://www.flickr.com/photos/35945984@N00/79197159/>[image:
Del.icio.us tag browser
screengrab]<http://www.flickr.com/photos/35945984@N00/79197200/>Here
are two dynamic, visual illustrations of the potential of browsing using
tags that I spoke about at the VITTA blogging seminar several weeks ago
(including geotagging with Google Earth)

Del.icio.us <http://del.icio.us.com/> is a great way to introduce students
to web2.0 feature of tagging and privacy. Using this powerful Java Del.icio.us
Graphical Browser <http://hublog.hubmed.org/archives/001049.html> users can
now display all the connections and surf the links between the different
tags used.

Because users that publish photographs on Flickr can also add tags to
classify their images, you can also also use the Flickr Related Tag
Browser<http://www.airtightinteractive.com/projects/related_tag_browser/app/>to
surf the different Flickr tags posted. The links between these tags is
determined by their association with other tags and an analysis of their
clustered usage. Fascinating stuff that lets them visualise a model in their
heads of how all this tagging can work to help generate and extract new
information.

Regards Roland

PS: in fact, I dug up this info from some tags that I used on my blog ;-)

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au