[Year 12 IT Apps] VITTA ITA exam 2 - my ideas of errata

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Mon Oct 15 14:54:47 EST 2007

Thanks for the input Bill.  I still tend to disagree about the cable
modem really modulating/demodulating.  I believe all it does is split
cable internet signals from cable TV signals.  To modulate, I believe,
involves an analogue-digital translation.

Of course I could be wrong.

It's happened before... sometime in 1982, I believe. Might have been a
Friday...

  :-)

Mark

Russell Edwards wrote:
> Hi Mark, I agree with most of what you have said, just a couple of minor
> points
>
> On 15/10/2007, at 1:36 PM, Mark Kelly wrote:
>> Question 1
>> Which of the following enables several LANS to connect over a WAN?
>> Suggested answer: D. Router.
>>
>> A router protects a LAN from the outside world, but its role is not
>> principally to enable communications.  I suspect the best answer would
>> be a modem.
>
> The primary role of the router is indeed to enable communications
> between two or more networks. It may include a firewall of some sort
> (=protection from the outside world) but need not.   A modem is not
> necessary as you may have a data link that doesn't require
> modulation/demodulation-- though you'd be hard pressed to find one that
> could offer distances that classify as "wide area"!
>
>> Question 3
>> Which type of backup uses two sets of backup media and backs up the
>> most recent changes on the second media?
>> Suggested answer: B. Differential.
>>
>> This can’t be right.,  The question is very odd.  Two sets of backup
>> media? From http://www.backuptool.com/incremental%20backup.htm...
>
> I suppose what they're getting at is that incremental backups might use
> more than twos set of media. But in fact, the terms are about _what_ you
> backup, _when_ -- not _where_ you put the data (i.e. media).
>
>> A modem is, for most people today, a digital device for ADSL or cable
>> internet that has no modulation or demodulation happening!  The
>> question should have referred to analogue modems if it wanted this
>> answer.
>
> No, ADSL and cable are still analog modems. ADSL goes over copper line
> just as dialup, simply using a much higher (analog) bandwidth than plain
> dialup and avoiding the voice band. Cable modems (afaik) use an optic
> fibre data link so again this is a modem, as a carrier wave (in this
> case a light wave) is modulated to transport data.  Even wireless, 3G or
> satellite internet will rely on a pair of modems (with an
> electromagnetic wave as a carrier) as part of the link, even though the
> term isn't usually used in reference to them.
>
> cheers
>
> Russell Edwards
> Whittlesea Secondary College

School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

You'll know when we are officially a civilised race: our schools have
all the money they need and the Air Force has to run a chook raffle to
buy a new bomber.