[Year 12 IT Apps] VITTA ITA exam 2 - my ideas of errata

Russell Edwards edwards.russell.t at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Oct 15 14:22:23 EST 2007

Hi Mark, I agree with most of what you have said, just a couple of
minor points

On 15/10/2007, at 1:36 PM, Mark Kelly wrote:
> Question 1
> Which of the following enables several LANS to connect over a WAN?
> Suggested answer: D. Router.
>
> A router protects a LAN from the outside world, but its role is not
> principally to enable communications.  I suspect the best answer
> would be a modem.

The primary role of the router is indeed to enable communications
between two or more networks. It may include a firewall of some sort
(=protection from the outside world) but need not.   A modem is not
necessary as you may have a data link that doesn't require modulation/
demodulation-- though you'd be hard pressed to find one that could
offer distances that classify as "wide area"!

> Question 3
> Which type of backup uses two sets of backup media and backs up the
> most recent changes on the second media?
> Suggested answer: B. Differential.
>
> This can’t be right.,  The question is very odd.  Two sets of
> backup media? From http://www.backuptool.com/incremental%
> 20backup.htm...

I suppose what they're getting at is that incremental backups might
use more than twos set of media. But in fact, the terms are about
_what_ you backup, _when_ -- not _where_ you put the data (i.e. media).

> A modem is, for most people today, a digital device for ADSL or
> cable internet that has no modulation or demodulation happening!
> The question should have referred to analogue modems if it wanted
> this answer.

No, ADSL and cable are still analog modems. ADSL goes over copper
line just as dialup, simply using a much higher (analog) bandwidth
than plain dialup and avoiding the voice band. Cable modems (afaik)
use an optic fibre data link so again this is a modem, as a carrier
wave (in this case a light wave) is modulated to transport data.
Even wireless, 3G or satellite internet will rely on a pair of modems
(with an electromagnetic wave as a carrier) as part of the link, even
though the term isn't usually used in reference to them.

cheers

Russell Edwards
Whittlesea Secondary College