[Year 12 IT Apps] Qu A 15

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Wed Nov 14 13:38:17 EST 2007

And number format does not allow leading zeroes such as 03...

Geoff Moss wrote:
> Keith
>
> A - Text is correct
>
> With phone numbers, the numbers frequently contain non-numeric characters, such as parentheses and hyphens: (02) 4782-0000 for example. By using text data type we allow for such characters, as well as allowing for additional details such as ext 34 (although you could, if you wish, create an additional field called WorkExtension to handle extension numbers).
>
> As for the postcode, although this field will contain only numbers, we don't treat postcodes as numbers, that is, we don't use them in numerical calculations. Because of this, and because of the way database sort and format numbers differently from text, always store this type of information in a text field.
>
> Regards
> Geoff Moss
> RMIT
>

>> Keith Richardson <keithcr at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>>
>> I have a beef about this topic.
>> Some years ago I attended an advanced Access three day course to get my
>> head around this database program.
>> We were told in no uncertain way, that one should NOT use number as a
>> data type for phone numbers or postcodes etc. In fact it should only be
>> used when you intend doing mathematical calculations with it's contained
>> data further down the track.
>> Therefore, I choose A for Qu 15 (Part A), but in doing so remember one
>> or more of the VITTA practice ITA exams that indicated it should be
>> number.
>> What do others think?
>> Keith
>> Keith Richardson
>> ITA List Moderator
>> Head of ICT, Leibler Yavneh College
>> Elsternwick
>> Ph: 03.9528.4911
>> k.richardson at yavneh.vic.edu.au

School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

You'll know when we are officially a civilised race: our schools have
all the money they need and the Air Force has to run a chook raffle to
buy a new bomber.