[Year 12 IT Apps] Qu A 15

Geoff Moss geoffmoss37 at optusnet.com.au
Wed Nov 14 13:14:17 EST 2007

Keith

A - Text is correct

With phone numbers, the numbers frequently contain non-numeric characters, such as parentheses and hyphens: (02) 4782-0000 for example. By using text data type we allow for such characters, as well as allowing for additional details such as ext 34 (although you could, if you wish, create an additional field called WorkExtension to handle extension numbers).

As for the postcode, although this field will contain only numbers, we don't treat postcodes as numbers, that is, we don't use them in numerical calculations. Because of this, and because of the way database sort and format numbers differently from text, always store this type of information in a text field.

Regards
Geoff Moss
RMIT