[Year 12 IT Apps] C++ or Java book

Russell Edwards edwards.russell.t at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Nov 2 11:35:20 EST 2007

Dear List,

   I am hoping someone can recommend a good introductory book for a
student who wishes to teach herself C++, Java or another language that
will be of value to her in finding employment when she finishes school.

  She has some experience with VB, Flash + ActionScript, GameMaker etc
but is yet to learn a real programming language.  I suggested Java as
being possibly a better choice of first language than C++ because it
is less idiosyncratic: garbage collection, no awful operator
overloading I/O syntax, no head-scratching about pointers, etc etc.  I
consider myself quite skilled in both C++ and Java since I used to use
both in my profession prior to entering teaching this year, so I will
be there to offer help etc when needed (at least until holidays start)
but I think really she needs a good book to walk her through step-by-
step.

thanks in advance for any suggestions

Russell Edwards
Whittlesea SC