[Year 12 IT Apps] OT: Computer rollover

Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Fri Aug 10 16:33:29 EST 2007

> Remember when TV was the big bad wolf? Radio? Cars? Fire?

Yes....and it's a pity we seem to have forgotten it.

All technologies have a downside and as technology educators, I think we
need to keep that in mind that we should be critical spruikers, not
propagandists for the technology pushers.

YouTube could well be the greatest thing in education since calculators, but
it can also deliver a mindful of sickness that developing minds (or even
adult minds) just don't need to be contaminated with. Simple black/while
arguments about any technology are not going to lead to any real resolution
of any issue.

I agree with Stephen insofar as we need to keep firmly in front of us our
purpose as educators: ultimately it is to educate children, not entertain
them. If they are entertained along the way to being educated so much the
better; if they are educated along the way to being entertained then we
should be running a cinema or a game shop; and if they are simply being
entertained then we are wasting our time.

Regards
Robert T-A
Brighton SC