FW: [Year 12 IT Apps] Advice Request - Workstation Purchase

McDonald, Debra A1 mcdonald.debra.a1 at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sun Aug 5 23:17:31 EST 2007

Hi all,

I had my TTSP head man work out an answer for Keith but have struggled in finding him.. so I have resorted to posting to the group as I can not find him any other way.

Can I please ask- if you are in the global address book please put at least your school name at the end of your emails (with your name of course) and if you are not on the global then please make sure you include your email address so we can reply off list when necessary.

cheers

Debra McDonald

Network Manager
Lyndhurst Secondary College
Cranbourne
(03) 5996 0144

>From Grant - I can not find Keith Deb, please forward this information.

I have purchased workstations from Paragon IT and Optima Computers for a number of years for both primary and secondary schools. I get good prices from both companies because of the DOE pricing arrangements and have recently purchased from both companies. Both will give a three year on site warranty to schools and Optima sometimes has a special deal that gives a 4 year warranty. Paragon has excellent response times for service requests and Optima takes a bit longer but gets the job done. I have purchased both AMD and Intel machines and have found that the small extra cost is well worth the reliability and ease of maintenance for an Intel chipset. My personal preference is Optima computers as their hardware seems more reliable. As an example in the last 6 months I purchased 70 Intel workstations from Optima and had to get one MB replaced. I also purchased 24 AMD workstations from Paragon IT and had to replace two MB. Currently I spec machines with glass panel LCD monitors and boxes with no FDD or CD/DVD drives and almost all workstations come with front access to USB/Audio/Firewire.

If you have any questions please give me a call.

Grant Lowe

TSSP

Cranbourne Cluster

0407 868982