[iOS] iOS App Development - First steps

Travis Parker Travis.Parker at beaconhills.vic.edu.au
Thu Jun 14 09:09:14 EST 2012

Hi list-ers,

I trust that everyone's exam and reporting period has been jam packed
and full of fun!

I have started with iOS app development, and the version that you
download from the app store is iOS SDK 5.1, which uses XCode 4.3,
whereas the examples in the Graeme Summers book use XCode 4.2. The way
that it handles and releases objects from memory is different, and none
of my programs from the book were working! I addressed these concerns to
Graeme and he directed me to the following site:

http://graemesummers.info

There is a PDF available that is called "corrections" which assists with
using the newer version of the SDK and turning off ARC, which means that
all of the programs will still work. Graeme replied to all of my newbie
emails within minutes, with his final reply being at 1.23am this
morning!

Anyway, for other newbies to XCode who have just downloaded the latest
version, this is why some of my programs weren't working correctly and
you just need to check out the PDF on the above site.

I hope that this helps some other newbies out, and I'd love to hear of
people's initial experiences with XCode!

Have an enjoyable GAT day!

Trav