[elearning] Youtube policy [Spam score:10%]

Oliver Murray omurray at gegs.wa.edu.au
Fri Apr 1 12:51:57 EST 2011

Hi Phil
Youtube is open for staff and secondary students 7 to 12.
Both groups have a download quota.

Teachers are encourage to monitor usage as part of their classroom management strategies.

Occasionally I view usage reports then put a reminder in the Daily notices about our AUP (ie the "for educational purposes only" section) after this reminder I have a computer infringement notice and ask the students identified via the usage report to see me for a lunchtime detention. This approach works well with the kids I teach.

Below is list of alternatives
Top 10 Alternatives to YouTube
1.     School Tube<http://www.schooltube.com/> - Excellent safe place for students and teachers to share and view video.
2.     WatchKnow<http://www.watchknow.org/default.aspx> -  Wonderful site with 1000's of videos for students in multiple subjects, organized in a clear, precise way.
3.     Neo K-12<http://www.neok12.com/> - All videos on this amazing site are a 100% safe. Also, there is a complete suite of educational tools for educators to choose from, such as quizzes, presentations, and more.
4.     Snag Learning<http://learning.snagfilms.com/> - An interesting site that brings documentary-style films to engage students in discussion and classroom participation.
5.     Qwiki <http://www.qwiki.com/> - A very new (alpha) site that brings an innovative twist on video experience. While the content is still growing, one can't help but notice that amount of promise that is shown here.
6.     Explore<http://explore.org/education/> -  Great site, similar to Discovery Streaming for educational video. Users can either view on the web or download for their own convenience.
7.     Kids Tube<http://kidstube.com/> -  Excellent filtered site for kids' videos.
8.     Teacher Tube<http://teachertube.com/> -  Excellent site for educators to find videos for students and share in the wonderful educational online community.
9.     Vimeo<http://vimeo.com/> - A nice very popular alternative to YouTube. I recommend using with a filter of some sort, or view all content before introducing to students.