[Informatics] Collecting data about mouse movements

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 12:38:15 UTC 2021

Great to see so many familiar and new faces at our DLTV 2021 Applied Computing Teacher’s Conference :-)

Research into using mouse movements to identify somebody from biometric data, done here in this paper using Minecraft and machine learning.

Siddiqui, N., Dave, R., & Seliya, N. (2021). Continuous Authentication Using Mouse Movements, Machine Learning, and Minecraft. Proc. of the International Conference on Electrical, Computer and Energy Technologies (ICECET), 6. https://arxiv.org/abs/2110.11080 <https://arxiv.org/abs/2110.11080>

Clicking on likes is too blunt a tool now with software like Instagram and TicToc also capturing data about user swipes on pictures. Reminds me of another paper that tried to identify people by their gait. This may stimulate an interesting discussion amongst students from a familiar game.

Interesting consideration about what is ethical, what is not. Has policy kept up with practice?

Roland GESTHUIZEN
http://about.me/rgesthuizen