[Informatics] Fwd: Hypothesis: I can't remember why I came into this room because... my brain is saving power?

Mark mark at vceit.com
Tue Apr 11 17:13:08 AEST 2017

You know the feeling.. "Now... why did I come into this room? Ummm... No
idea, but while I'm here I might as well tidy this up..."

Tentative explanations:

1. Age-related mental decline?
2. Rooms hate you?
3. Your brain categorises memories into discrete environments?

*http://www.cracked.com/article_19518_5-seemingly-random-factors-that-control-your-memory.html
<http://www.cracked.com/article_19518_5-seemingly-random-factors-that-control-your-memory.html>*

I refer to item #5 - *Walking through doorways*.

Spoiler - Answer #3 looks promising, according to the research
<http://al.nd.edu/news/27483-walking-through-doorways-causes-forgetting-new-research-shows/>
.
The answer is: *doorways*. Your brain is letting go of irrelevant memories
from the past room.

Suggested cure: as you travel, keep saying out loud why you were going into
the other room.

Prediction: When I leave this room and enter another room with the purpose
of getting a pair of scissors, I will be making "scissor" movements with my
hand to make me remember why I came there in the first place.

Your brain is a wonderful thing... but - as *Emo Philips* says in places
like here <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ab6LWXeNDA> and here
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dz7LOgVEso> (not rude, but not safe for
class) - "I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my
body. Then I realised who was telling me this."

Mark

mark at vceit.com
http://vceit.com