[Informatics] The CIA Secret to Cybersecurity That No One Seems to Get | WIRED

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 10:14:24 AEDT 2016

Hope you are all enjoying the summer break. Here is an interesting article.

http://www.wired.com/2015/12/the-cia-secret-to-cybersecurity-that-no-one-seems-to-get <http://www.wired.com/2015/12/the-cia-secret-to-cybersecurity-that-no-one-seems-to-get>

Network and Infrastructure security basics are an important foundation but you don't reinforce system by just making it harder to get in. The Banking System went through these growing pains a while ago and the answer wasn't by mandating complex 7 PIN number for EFPOS, weekly password rotations or even more biometrics on plastic cards. The lesson was to improve their system integrity to catch them once they break in.

You can add multiple layers of locks, a burglar only has to find one vulnerability and entry point. As I see it, much of the problem is the closed-source security code that has everybody guessing about how it exactly works and what is inside (don’t even get me started on electronic voting systems).

The cat flap isn’t the problem, it’s Schrödinger's cat.