[Informatics] Database choices for U3AoS1

Fox, Richard R fox.richard.r at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Jan 11 12:56:05 AEDT 2016

Hi, Happy New Year everyone!

I'd like to thank everyone for the excellent contributions made by members of the list, it's a great community.

I'm interested to see what choices people are making for the database to be used in U3O1. Last year I used FileMaker Pro, which I have some previous experience in from many years back, but I have been working extensively in mySQL since then for my own projects.

It seems the choices are:
1) FileMaker Pro - easy to get started, good for form design, but confusing when trying to separate database design (tables, fields, types, validation) from UI which is done through layouts. Using portals as an abstraction for relationships is also confusing. I found students could get up to speed quickly with layout design but explaining queries was really hard because it is all UI-driven, and finds are stored rather than scripted. Also, it is very relaxed with data validation, so it will happily let you do calculations with price values for example that have been stored as a Text data type. Also, I don't think it is really used much in the real world these days?

2) SQL - I think this is really a better way to teach how a database is structured, so that one can see it is just a data store and then one sets up relationships between tables. It also enforces data types properly. I found even whilst teaching FileMaker last year it was still easier to explain queries using SQL statements. But is it too steep a learning curve?

3) Microsoft Access -  I have not used this before, and really don't want to invest time to learn it when I have other choices. From my understanding it is not widely used anymore, much like FileMaker?

Of these, I'm still leaning towards using mySQL because (a) it lets one concentrate on correct RDBMS design, without UI complications or abstractions, (b) it is easier to check SQL scripts for correct operation (c) it is far more relevant these days being the common foundation of web apps using PHP and mySQL back ends, (d) it is free and cross-platform.

Where I'm still not clear is whether the study design says they have to build a full application using a database (so, it has a UI), or whether they only have to demonstrate correct table and relationship design. If they are expected to make an end-user application then they would need to use PHP in web pages to interact with the database, which would increase the complexity of the task. But correct design, use of queries and validation can be demonstrated through interaction with the SQL interpreter. The other design requirements of the outcome could still be met by layout diagrams, test plans, etc.

Looking forwards to some insights from others.

Thanks,
Richard
--
Richard Fox