[Informatics] SAT - Hypothesis feasabilty activity

Garth, Lucas A garth.lucas.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sun Feb 28 20:56:03 AEDT 2016

Hi Heath

Something I shared with the DLTV session on Friday was this template, which helps students to generate a hypothesis that contains a prediction and two logical variables that can be tested. (first main part of Criterion 1).

It's based on what Judy Zuccon shared in the main SAT session on Monday:

More or less of

Leads to

More or less of

Because of

Reason

(independent variable)

(dependent variable)

Listening to increased amounts of music during class

Leads to

Lower test scores in exams

Because of

A lack of concentration when learning key concepts

Marrying before the age of 25

Leads to

A higher percentage of marriage breakdowns

Because of

Not knowing their partner deeply
OR
Lack of maturity

In relation to Primary Quantitative I'd argue (maybe not successfully) that ABS data is generally grouped by State or by age or some other value and therefore it's value added and should be treated as Secondary.  It's probably a moot point, but it's worth trying to get student to write surveys that will return both quantitative and qualitative results through intelligent use of open/closed questions.  So I am going to encourage my students along this path, one which you have noted.

The only other thoughts are:

-          Help students develop an understanding of what complex data is (Criterion 2).  From my understanding from the SAT training day, it's 2 of text/number/sound/image.  A good survey and some detailed Secondary Quantitative datasets should make this doable.

-          When introducing referencing systems to your class confirm what are the key pieces of data that are required when creating a reference for a datasource (they generally are the same for all 4 systems, with just a bit of formatting/rearranging) - this is also Criterion 2, but when students are gathering data it would be terrible to need to recreate a reference later when they can do it at the time.

Lucas