[Informatics] You want exemplary hypotheses to prepare kids for the SAT?

Mark mark at vceit.com
Sun Dec 27 14:29:30 AEDT 2015

Hypotheses from recent mesmerising Ig Nobel Awards
<http://www.improbable.com/ig/winners> ...

-
​regardless of size, ​
nearly all mammals
​
empty their bladders in about 21 seconds (plus or minus 13 seconds)
​*

- acute appendicitis can be accurately diagnosed by the amount of pain
evident when the patient is driven over speed bumps.*
​*​

- people who habitually stay up late are, on average, more self-admiring,
more manipulative, and more psychopathic than people who rise early in the
morning.
​***

- is it mentally hazardous for a human being to own a cat?
​****

- when dogs defecate and urinate, they prefer to align their body axis with
Earth's north-south geomagnetic field lines**
​***​

​- listening to opera improves the survival of mice undergoing heart
transplants.******

-
​drunk ​
people think they are attractive
​.​

*And finally, a Swedish/Australian joint prize winner in the the
unusually-conjoined fields of Biology and Astronomy: ​*

​- ​
when dung beetles get lost, they can navigate their way home by looking at
the Milky Way.

​So many hypotheses. So little time.
​
​Mark​

-
​As usual, feel free to skip the footnotes.​

* I can hear across Victoria, "Honey? Where's the stopwatch? I gotta pee."​

*
​*​
I can personally attest to the appendicitis hypothesis.
​Try it:
rid
​e
 a bumpy bus from Bulleen to the city with what turns out to be a burst
appendix. It's
*​​hours* of fun
​... and then near-fatal surgery​
.

**** I
​stay
 up late, yet I am *delightful* and universally-known for my *kindness* and
*beneficence*. And, yes - I'm certainly *not* psychopathic, and there's
no-one alive who can prove otherwise... I made sure of that.

**** T
his study also references the topic in
my previous post about cat bite depression.

**
​***​
Doesn't
*​​everyone*?