[CS4HS] Assessment queries re: Unit 3 Algorithmics

Christophersen, Paula P christophersen.paula.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sat Nov 22 18:12:14 EST 2014

Dear colleagues

I am responding to a query sent through from Steven that arose from a video conferencing session held last week between Steven, Bernd and some teachers undertaking a 'head start' program this year in Algorithmics.

Two questions were raised, and I've included my responses:

1) What is the relative weighting of assessment components (e.g. within Unit 3 Outcome 1, where there are three components)

Outcomes 1 and 2 form the SAT, and they are marked according to criteria provided by the VCAA. This means that the individual tasks are not weighted like a SAC that has multiple tasks.

There will be eight criteria each worth 10 marks for the SAT in Unit 3. This criteria will inform you of the relative weighting of evidence captured in tasks. There maybe, for instance, one criterion that has a direct connection with a task; in other situations a criterion may relate to aspects of a task in each of the outcomes. The criteria will be published at the end of January together with a rubric. It will be a 10-point scale, with five statements per criterion. The VCAA will hold an all-day training session early in term 1 to work through the criteria and rubrics.

2) How will moderation / cross-marking be implemented, which we assume is a requirement for schools with a small cohort of Algorithmics students (< 5?)

Currently all schools with a small enrolment (< 5) in a study need to officially form a partnership with another school to cross mark. I will be able to facilitate this given the small number of providers in 2015. However, I think it would be worthwhile for all schools to engage in cross marking with another school in this initial accreditation period, so it is my intention to discuss this proposal with the appropriate personnel at the VCAA. Cross marking will support professional learning and teacher confidence. The timing of cross marking is left to the partnership schools, but there will be closing dates by which marks need to be submitted to the VCAA for both the SAT and SAC.

Once I've had my discussion with the relevant personnel, all schools will be officially notified of the partnership requirements.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further queries.

Regards
Paula