[Design and Technology] Safe use of Power tools?

Jill Livett jill.livett at overnewton.vic.edu.au
Sat Sep 2 07:35:40 UTC 2023

Hi all (and Emma and Brendan)
It is getting more and more difficult to find information on the Dept. of Ed’s website related to equipment use in the Technologies classroom. The other useful link I have is for the risk assessments and safe operating procedures for a wide range of Technologies plant and equipment (I think this page might be on its way out soon): https://www.education.vic.gov.au/hrweb/safetyhw/Pages/plantequipriskmgt.aspx
DATTA Vic developed a Machine Use Matrix a few years ago with teacher consultation – it is just advice, and teachers need to make assessments of what is appropriate for their school setting and the behaviour/responsibility levels their students (attached). It isn’t in year level groupings (that it so dependent on the students you have and your Technologies program), but is split into low, medium, high and restricted levels.
Thanks
Jill