[Yr11 Information Technology] data visualisations - bad example?

Adrian Janson janson.adrian.a at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 23:02:16 UTC 2020

Hi all,

So The Age have this graph in an article on their front page today:

[image: Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 9.55.02 am.png]
and my first thought was: this is an exponential graph, but will the
average person get that? It looks like China have plateaued - but have
they? Their rate has slowed, but the graph with the scale like this makes
it hard to see what is happening there.

Also - each country's line could have started on the timeline relative to
the first case that was reported (though I know that overlaying them like
this allows you to compare countries)...

Interesting times in the data visualisation world... plenty of examples!