[Yr11 Information Technology] GovHack for U2O2 - anyone interested or can provide me with more information?

Garth, Lucas A garth.lucas.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Feb 5 15:52:04 AEDT 2016

Good afternoon colleagues

I've been looking into ways to make U2O2 (Data visualisation) more real world and exciting for my students.  Because I've planned to use the GROK learning experience for programming, it leaves a neat allowance of time at the start of Term 3 (and end of Term 2) to teach the content of U2O2.

It also dovetails perfectly into GovHack 2016 which is scheduled for Friday July 29th to Sunday July 31st .

GovHack is a competition that runs for 46 hours with the aim of using government data to display or communicate information with a 3 minute video and proof of a data concept required within this timeframe.

More information is available here: https://www.govhack.org

I've looked at GovHack with interest when considering whether it's appropriate for schools to enter teams.  It appears some schools have run this successfully and I'd like to understand some processes that might lead to a successful experience (if there's anyone out there on this list with being part of a Victorian experience e.g. Melb State Library), or whether there are other schools that Lalor SC could partner with in this area.

Attendance at the actual event might only be for a set number of students who would need to pre-identify/qualify through excellent results in Unit 1 work and be passionate about the content, but I do think that the concept could be useful as a real-world application of skills, and possibly as a means of assessing all students on the content of U2O2.

In any event the GovHack developer kit provides useful information for teaching and learning concepts for Computing Unit 1&2 and Informatics Unit 3&4
http://govhack-toolkit.readthedocs.org/

Lucas Garth
Lalor Secondary College
Technology KLA Leader