[Yr11 Information Technology] Xcode 6- Swift and Playgrounds

Alexakos, Zach Z alexakos.zach.z at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Jan 28 23:10:56 EST 2015

Hi all,

Below are some links to You Tube videos covering how to use Xcode Swift which was released by Apple later last year.  The videos are a work in progress, however I intend to use them for our iPhone and iPad Apps Course at Year 10 and for Outcomes 1&2 for Unit 2 Year 11 Information Technology.

As the school I work for will not provide me with the time to do these videos and reseach,  I have needed to do them in my own time.  As a result during the school term I will try to add at least one video per fortnight, when I can.

There's much to cover, so these first 10 videos are only the tip of the iceberg.

I also have a website for my courses however due to a lockdown of the Department's intranets, (that's another story), I'm going to need to migrate the websites externally and manually, bit by bit when I have the time.

Xcode Swift and Playgrounds is a great way for students to learn how to program and to make Apps.  It's easier and much more user friendly than Objective C. However I do recommend using Graeme summer's text, "Programming Apps with the iPhone/iPad", which covers Objective C and many other aspects of programming apps.  We will be looking at making Graeme's apps using Objective C and then making them again using Swift.

The videos will also be available on Edulists, eventually!

regards,
Zach Alexakos

Video #1:  http://youtu.be/UNxRD1q6oF4
Video #2:  http://youtu.be/MCoL9uESCsQ