[Yr11 Information Technology] Column v Bar Charts

Esther Andrews ANDREWS.Esther at BSSC.EDU.AU
Thu Feb 14 07:56:05 EST 2013

The web is not particularly enlightening, is it?!
It seems they are basically interchangeable however the following points may help you choose:

Choose a column chart if

 *
the data represents height
 *
you wish to add a trend line

You can choose a bar chart if

 *
the names of the independent variables are long (because you can put them on the vertical axis)
 *
the data is time or distance (I *think* I read that somewhere - it reminds me of a Gantt chart or a history timeline)

Esther Andrews | Admin Systems Developer, IT and Maths Teacher
Bendigo Senior Secondary College
Box 545 | BENDIGO | Victoria  3552   Australia
B +61 3 5443 1222 | F  +61 3 5441 4548
andrews.esther at bssc.edu.au<mailto:andrews.esther at bssc.edu.au>
www.bssc.edu.au<http://www.bssc.edu.au/>
Our ROLE is to empower learners for individual, community and global leadership. We value Respect, Optimism, Learning and Environment.