[Yr11 Information Technology] My U1O1 - R-U MAD psychiatric data

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Fri Mar 9 15:11:29 EST 2012

I've been putting off writing this outcome for a while because finding
suitable data and a reasonable case study have been driving me crazy.

Hence the topic of the data - Australian psychiatric figures.  Having no
idea of what format to use to frame the task, I made it a fictional scene
with real data. Your approach may differ.

The data comes from http://mhsa.aihw.gov.au/home but I've already lost the
exact location of the link. I did make significant chops to the data to get
its size under control while leaving enough data for the kids to generate
their info (and a little irrelevant data for them to sift out.)

If you are making your own outcome, be sure to read p.19 of the study
design about what is required - particularly the need to provide the data
and info about what the analysis has turned up (e.g. constraints, what info
the students need to produce.)

Also check the key knowledge and key skills  (p.20) so you include things
like design, testing, and explaining why the solution is suitable for its
needs. I didn't include validation because no new data entry is required
for the solution.

P.19 also says that information is to be "displayed onscreen" which might
make assessment harder (or easier?) for you.
If you need kids to print their work, they'd need access to a colour
printer to get the full informational juiciness from their output.

I decided to get kids to create their report in Word and embed (link) their
charts from Excel into the Word document. It's just a neater way to package
their output, I think. I'll assess it onscreen, in colour.

I have yet to decide exactly how long I'll give the kids - maybe 90-120
minutes will do.  I'll go with the flow, since this is the first time I've
run this. I've also yet to craft a marking scheme.  Maybe next week.

Attached is the case study, the data and a tute on embedding Excel charts
in Word (2007).

Suggestions and creative criticism are welcome, as usual.

Cheers, and happy long weekend all.

Now to click SEND and immediately find the glaring omissions and errors in
the outcome...  <click>

McKinnon Secondary College
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
VCE IT Lecture Notes: http://vceit.com