[Yr11 Information Technology] unit 2

Bane, Janet A bane.janet.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Feb 22 14:13:01 EST 2012

Hi Andrew

With SAC conditions, it is not always possible to have a talking- free zone, particularly when the SAC is over a long period.  Outcome 5, where the kids track their development in programming is one such example - they should be asking questions, helping and interacting with each other.  I monitor the work produced, but mainly assess their journals, testing tables and the ICT career investigation.  I try not to have too many kids investigating the same career, or if they are they are, not sitting together.

In outcome 6, it is a group task, so naturally they have to talk!  I think the biggest problem with this outcome is the division of labour - it always seems that some kids do more than others and its hard to distinguish who has done what when you come to assess it.  On a philosophical level, they should probably all get the same; if someone in the group wasn't working, then it should have been up to the others to put the pressure on.  I think I am going to include some sort of personal diary next time I do this SAC so at least they have to pretend to do something constructive each period!

How do others mark group tasks?  Do you mark each person's contribution separately?  Or do you give all members of the group the same mark, regardless of how much work he/she did?

regards

Janet Bane

Patterson River SC