[Yr11 Information Technology] (no subject)

Howard, David dhoward at stmichaels.vic.edu.au
Mon Jun 21 10:37:12 EST 2010

Hi Laurie,

We only made webApps. Which are essentially web pages that are formatted to look like native app. Look to http://touch.facebook.com or Qantas.com on an iPhone or iPod for what I am talking about.

We used PHP to detect which browser viewers were using and then redirected users to two different pages, one formatted for a large screen and one for the iPhone screen.

The main parts are simple HTML which scale page to fit the screen properly.

Another handy part is making an icon so that when people ‘add a link to homescreen’ they get a proper icon on the homescreen on the iPhone rather than a small screen shot.

<link href="images/logo.png" rel="apple-touch-icon" /> <!--this adds icons to homescreen-->

Other items that students need to consider is designing the page to function properly on the iPhone.

If you are looking for a template, these guys and gals and make a great free open source template and have heaps of resources for you. http://iwebkit.net/

I will upload some examples to my website tonight.

David Howard
ICT Learning Mentor
[cid:image001.jpg at 01CB112D.B5515D40]
25 Chapel Street, St Kilda VIC 3182